Why Stretching Exercise? Any form of exercise is beneficial for proper functioning of vital organs of our body. However, some forms of exercises may create problems to the individuals. Especially, people with heart diseases and diabetics can not undergo strenuous exercises. For such cases, stretching and aerobic exercises are found to be beneficial in a long-term sense. Stretching exercises are meant to improve the endurance as well as strength. These types of exercises are considered as mandatory for people who are also engaged in body building and muscle toning. Stretching exercises are believed to provide more freedom to the movements of different muscles of the body. A stretching exercise for 10 minutes can help your muscles to become more elastic and supple. The increased suppleness in the muscles will not only improve the posture but will also help in preventing stiffness and injury. Here are the eight simplest form of stretching exercises that will help you to gain suppleness in muscles.
Stretching exercise for Thigh
This exercise is also known as 'Front of Thighs' which is specifically meant for upper legs. This exercise must be performed in following way
- Hold the wall or a chair and lift your right knee in front of your body. Meanwhile soften the knee that supports your weight.
- Take hold of your right ankle with your right hand and allow the knee to lower until the thigh is vertical. Make it sure that the knees are placed side by side and continue to hold the stretch.
- Repeat the same procedure on the left.
This exercise may cause some pain in the beginning but the pain will diminish as you exercise regularly. Try to pull in your abdominal muscles and tilt your pelvis forward as you ease your foot up.
Stretching exercise for Back
This exercise is also known as 'Back of Thighs' and is specially meant for the lower spine. The exercise must be carried out in following way
- Get your hands and knees on the floor.
- Being physically active.
- Place your hands in line with your shoulders.
- Keep your fingers pointing forward and knees should be hip width apart.
- Try to pull your abdomen up towards your spine and curve the back.
- Stay at this position for about 10 seconds and slowly relax your back.
Stretching exercise for Chest
Though the exercise is meant for chest, it can also be used for shoulders. While performing this exercise, sit upright on the chair and place your hands on the lower back. Now, lift your chest up and forwards and squeeze your elbows towards each other behind. You will feel the stretch in the beginning but it would go as you progress.
Stretching exercise for Neck
This form of exercise is useful for neck as well as shoulders. While doing this exercise, sit comfortably on an upright chair and try to reach your left hand behind you. Slowly tilt your head towards the right shoulder. You will feel the stretch on the left side of your neck. Now, perform the same procedure by changing the side.
These are some of the easiest and common stretching exercise that can be performed by any age group. However, it is strongly advised to consult some professional before undergoing stretching exercises to get the complete benefit.
Share this Article with your Friends